Kalgary is located along FM 261 in southeastern Crosby County, approximately 55 miles southeast of Lubbock. It is located within the rolling plains along a drainage divide that separates the White River and the Salt Fork, both tributaries of the Brazos River.
It began around 1905 as Spur, when E. P. Swenson started selling parcels of his vast 437,670-acre SMS Ranch.
It then became known as Watson, for early settler Richard Watson Self. To accommodate the growing number of children in the area, the Watson school was constructed in 1907 with Rae Nichols as the teacher. A post office opened at the community in 1911, closed from 1913 to 1925, and was permanently discontinued in 1955. The name of the community was changed from Watson to Kalgary in 1927, when it was discovered that a second Texas community was named Watson.
Kalgary is, or rather once was, a community with a few businesses and a post office located in southeastern Crosby County. At its peak of population in the 1980s, the surrounding area claimed a total of 140 residents.
Today it has a few spread out houses, this old cotton gin, and little else.
- The townsite was on what had been part of the huge SMS ranch.
- It is known as the town with 3 names: Spur, Watson and Kalgary
- There were only 10 people in Kalgary in the 1930s.
- Their high water-mark was 1940 when the population reached 100 but today it is less than that.
Come by tomorrow when we travel to Lebanon, Texas!!