Today’s adventure begins in Dublin! Dublin is located in southwestern Erath County in Central Texas. Dublin is on U.S. highways 67 and 377 in southwest Erath County.
It was founded in 1854 by A. H. Dobkins and named in 1860, probably for the warning cry at Indian raids, “Double In,” for the capital of Ireland, or for the double-log cabins used by early settlers.
Growth increased in 1874 as Dublin acquired stagecoach service and a post office. In 1881 the Texas Central Railroad was built through to Mount Airy, a few miles from Dublin. J. D. Bishop laid out a townsite on the line four miles south of Mount Airy, which drew residents from old to new Dublin.
Within a year the new Dublin had forty-five businesses and sixty-five homes, so the railroad moved its depot from Mount Airy to new Dublin. The town was incorporated on March 18, 1889. By 1890 the population was 2,025. It was 2,370 in 1900, 2,271 in 1930, 2,746 in 1950, 2,810 in 1970, 2,723 in 1980, and 3,190 in 1990.
The town is a center for agriculture and industry, including oil and gas production, clothing factories, peanut shelling and drying plants, feed mills, milk processing, saddle and rope making, and metal stamping.
Dublin has two city parks, the Lyon Museum, a public library, a hospital, and a nursing home. It also has an airport, two railroads, a golf course, and recreational facilities at Proctor Reservoir. The town was one of the first in the state to have streetcars. It is also the birthplace of golfer Ben Hogan and his museum, Dublin Historical Museum, Dublin Veterans Museum and the Dublin Rodeo Heritage Museum, and the Wright Historical Park, home of a world-championship rodeo, and the former home of the annual Grand Army of the Republic reunion and home to the World’s Oldest Bottling Company, Dublin Bottling Works and Old Doc’s Soda Shop & Museum. Dublin has more museums per capita than any other Texas city!
The town is the former home of the world’s oldest Dr Pepper bottling plant, Dublin Bottling Works. Sam Houston Prim (1863-1946) arrived in Dublin in 1891 with $680 worth of bottling equipment, purchasing property at the southeast corner of Patrick and Elm streets to house his bottling works. Prim bottled Dr Pepper, along with other products, under an informal agreement until 1925, when he formally chose as a Dr Pepper distribution territory a 44-mile radius centered on Dublin — an area that remains as the company’s territory today. At the time of Prim’s death, Dr Pepper executives noted that he had bottled the soft drink longer than any other individual. The company has remained in operation since that time, making it the oldest Dr Pepper bottler in the world.
The plant was for many years the only U.S. source for Dr Pepper made with real cane sugar (from Texas-based Imperial Sugar), instead of less expensive high fructose corn syrup. Contractual requirements limited the plant’s distribution range to a 40-mile radius of Dublin, an area encompassing Stephenville, Tolar, Commanche and Hico. Watch the video to see the bottling in action!
Dublin is a great day destination trip from Houston, Dallas or Fort Worth. The people are friendly and the variety of museums will be educational and tons of fun plus a visit to Old Doc’s Soda Shop & Museum is a must!!
Enjoy a cool drink and a trip down memory lane in Dublin!